not a lot of new records have been catching my ear lately (minus marah). maybe it's that time of year. maybe my ears are getting old. or maybe the hipster stuff's just too hipster these days.
i have, however, been buying/listening to a lot of stuff that i missed the first time around, like:
the breeders - pod - had last splash, the amps and title tk forever. never had this one, though. finally got it, and dang, i was missing oooooooout. kim deal's the coolest woman in rock.
led zeppelin - mothership - always thought they sucked. but all i knew was "stairway to heaven". then i got this sweet greatest hits package and can't believe how stupid i was.
jawbox - for your own special sweetheart - heard of em, but not anything by em. got this on emusic, and it rocks my 30-year-old ass.
anything you guys recommend checking out that i've missed?
Thursday, January 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I feel the same way - not a lot of good new music has been released since early December. No one is in the mood to buy new music, and the Grammy season is a long way off, I guess.
Never noticed that The Breeders had a new album out - thanks for the tip, I will check it out.
Do you like Prince? "Planet Earth" is pretty good stuff.
If you are into jazz, check out Herbie Hancock's latest, "River - The Joni Letters" - his take on some of Joni Mitchell's songs. Very good.
And of course, if you haven't listend to Andrew Bird yet, you gotta check it out.
You always thought Led Zeppelin sucked?!?! Wha? I'd be happy to educate you. The Dread Pirate Roberts cannot let this stand.
As for new albums, I think January has been outstanding. The new Black Mountain album was an excellent start (specifically Stormy High). The new Drive-By Truckers soars, even with the departure of Jason Isbell. I love the Vampire Weekend album, even though I was afraid it was going to be overhyped. And don't forget the Shelby Lynne album "inspired by Dusty Springfield". Lovely. We need to get together and listen to some tunes.
I like what I've heard of Jesca Hoop.
http://www.jescahoop.com/
And Nellie McKay's new one is good, if you like that sort of loopy jazzy girl sound.
http://nelliemckay.com/
Post a Comment